Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Love of Learning




Over the past 4 years, completing my Bachelor of Nursing has been a significant journey of self-discovery, testimony building, balancing my life and developing a love for learning. I enrolled into University to do a Bachelor of Nursing for the first time in 2010 at the age of 33. As a mother of 4 whose children were now all at school, I decided with the encouragement of my husband to go and do what I had always wanted to do – become a registered nurse. I was concerned at first whether I could do it…as a stay at home mum for 12 years I was worried that I may not be smart enough, whether I could make the time, would my children still receive the love and attention they needed, could I commit to years of study, and could I learn to use the computer sufficiently to write essays?

'Everyone has talent. What is rare is the courage to follow 
that talent to the.... place where it leads.'
- Erica Jong

Graduating from University last year definitely gave me a greater sense of achievement and gratitude towards my husband and children for their support.

I would encourage any woman, whether young or older who have the desire to learn something new – whether it is to become a florist or to get a Bachelor degree – go for it!

I benefited so much over the four years of studying:

· I learnt to rely on the Lord to bless my efforts both at home and at Uni

· I developed a greater testimony of our bodies being creations of our Heavenly Father.

· I had opportunities to meet new people and develop friendships outside the church (something I had not previously done).

· I had so many opportunities to share the gospel and give away the Book of Mormon.

· I gained self-confidence (which I previously really struggled with) as I developed new talents and received blessings from the Lord.

· During my degree my husband started cooking for the first time in our marriage and I love that now we work more as a team in everything needed inside the home.

· Completing my mental health subjects and working in a ‘Post Traumatic Stress Unit’ for my prac allows me to confidently associate and communicate with those who struggle with mental health disorders, and empathise and understand family members who struggle with depression / anxiety.

· Through my ‘psychosocial’ subjects studied at Uni I learnt to communicate better with my teenagers and understand the different learning and physical development stages in my four children.

· After completing my anatomy and physiology subjects at Uni I was inspired to understand and live the ‘Word of Wisdom’ as best as possible. Our family now enjoys a delicious well-balanced healthy diet including loads of raw vegetables, avoiding artificial manufactured products and regularly exercising together.

· I had the opportunity to go and volunteer as a nurse for 3 weeks overseas in Laos – giving much needed primary health care and donations to remote villages and had an amazing time!

I also learnt that I am much more capable than I ever thought, and now encourage my children to strive towards their best!


By Katharina Spiller





No comments:

Post a Comment