Tuesday, March 4, 2014

How To Bloom Where You Are Planted


There is no denying the absolute, indisputable truth that this earthly experience is incredible. I, like you, have had my fair share of challenges throughout my life and have learned some things along the way.

Included with the usual mix of stresses and difficulties that our Earth experience brings all of us, I've endured some challenges tailored just for me. As a child of school age, I went to eight schools in 12 years in three states and two countries. My mid 20s were particularly difficult – I was robbed of my most precious worldly possessions in a home theft, was sick for some time with extreme tiredness and lethargy from a viral infection, and then had the challenge of rebuilding myself after a brutal attempted rape. I've had periods of unemployment and loneliness. I didn't get married until a little later than most, only then to endure my 30s in an emotionally, mentally, verbally, and often physically abusive marriage, which ended in divorce. I was left to tackle the challenges of single motherhood to four very young children for four years while also undertaking a couple of years of full-time study. I'm now in my 40s, faced with the challenges associated with university study again and adjusting to a new (truly wonderful) marriage.




I share these experiences with you not to focus on the negative and complain, but to stand as a firm witness to the power of the priesthood of God, the saving grace of the atonement of Jesus Christ, and the truthfulness of the restored gospel. I've learned that no matter what the trial or the challenge we are called to go through, the recipe for our success is always the same.

One of my favourite scriptures is found in Doctrine & Covenants, Section 103:36, “All victory and glory is brought to pass unto you through your diligence, faithfulness, and prayers of faith.” This scripture reminds me that Heavenly Father’s choicest blessings are available to me when I trust in him and work my heart out to live according to his counsel and will, regardless of what trials and challenges come my way.
My victory and glory over my trials is assured when I pour out my heart in prayer and acknowledge to my loving Heavenly Father that I am not strong enough, forgiving enough, smart enough or brave enough to get through my challenges on my own. I must recognise and acknowledge to myself that I don’t have what it takes alone to ‘fix’ the situation. I know I need the Saviour's atonement to make up for my inadequacies, insecurities and doubts when my own conscientious efforts fall short. There is a very literal change that takes place in my heart when I drop my burden at the Saviour's feet and tighten the harness on the yoke of my obedience.

Interestingly, as I now undertake another course of study at university, it’s wonderful to see that the trials and experiences I've endured have come together in such a way as to bring to fulfilment the parts in my patriarchal blessing that till now have been a cause of wonder and confusion to me. Going forward, I see that in Heavenly Father’s infinite wisdom, He has blessed me with the trials and challenges of my life till now to enable me to make a significant contribution to others in the next half of my life. I couldn't see it without the perspective of hindsight.

It feels like the broken, mixed-up pieces of my life’s jigsaw puzzle are all coming together at once. This has happened only since I stopped trying to make my life into what I thought I wanted and finally turned my will over to Heavenly Father so he can make my life into what he wants it to be. My prayers have changed. Instead of asking for what I want that I think He wants for me (which must make me seem like a demanding child), I'm asking Him to do with me what He will, make of my life what He wants, helping me see the opportunities He wants me to take along the path and then to give me through His grace and the gift of the atonement, the courage and tenacity to handle whatever I am called to pass through. It’s now an attitude of submission and gratitude. Even though my trials haven’t gone away (and as long as I'm breathing they won’t), I've never been happier because I know in whom I have trusted.

I've learned that there is nothing in this world that equips us to tackle life’s challenges head-on and come out better on the other side of them, than the gospel of Jesus Christ and the knowledge that I am literally a daughter of Heavenly Father. Armed with the scriptures, words of prophets and apostles, temples, our patriarchal blessings, ward families and personal revelation, we have the tools we need to pass through the length and depth of our tribulations. I testify that the miracle of it all is that our tribulations do truly become our joys when we work through them with Heavenly Father’s assistance and Jesus’ atonement and not buck and kick against them or try to escape them. As difficult as my tribulations have been, I wouldn't change a single one of them because of what I have learned from them. Love life, and come what may!

By Sarah Mahler














No comments:

Post a Comment