Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Sister Ofeila Stowers

Sister Ofeila Stowers was born in Samoa, moved to NZ in 1981, and then to Brisbane in 2009.  She joined the Church in 1999, when she was 31, and her family was sealed in the temple one year later. She and her husband, Peniamina, have 4 children: Monica is 26, Daniel is 21, Ezekiel is 18, and Ezra is 12. Their son Daniel is currently serving a two-year mission in Sydney North.  Although Ofeila struggles to speak and understand English, her skills are improving, and she is becoming more confident.  It can be hard, and sometimes makes her feel lonely, to be almost the only Samoan family in Springwood ward, but Ofeila says she"feels welcome", and "I feel like a part of Relief Society.  I love our Springwood ward sisters - their smiles, their hellos."  Ofeila loves to sing in choirs, but it's harder in English.  She doesn't drive, so catches a bus to work each day.  She loves the gospel and comes to Church every Sunday.  Ofeila's sister, Puna Lepua, lives in Kuraby ward with her family.  




What is the happiest you have ever been?
"When my husband took me and my children to be sealed in the temple.  I am (also) very happy to go to work, to help support my family."

"I only met my husband for two weeks, and then we got married!  He didn't want to wait.  It was not a big wedding."  (Monica adds that her parents are still sweethearts, and that their love is still growing.)

What do you like to do?
"I like to clean.  I work as a cleaner at the Mater Hospital."  Why do you like to clean?  "The patients - I like helping people.  I like exercise.  I go walking every day for one and a half hours.  I like cooking.  And gardening - vegetables and flowers."

Why did you join the Church?
"The missionaries shared the Book of Mormon.  I feel the Book of Mormon is true.  I believe it.  I always went to visit my grandparents, (in Samoa), when they were alive. They always shared with us the Church. They always read the Book of Mormon to me."

What would you like the sisters to know about you?
"I want the sisters to know I not speak very well and I understand just a little bit.  If they need help cleaning, then let me know to help.  I'd like to help.  I enjoy giving service.  I want to come to Church.  To meet new people and to set an example for the children."  
Monica added: "She's a great mother.  She's very sensitive.  She is nice and cheerful if you need someone to listen.  She really loves her family very much.  She talks to her sister nearly every day."

Do you have any advice for the sisters?
"To smile. Say hello.  Love.  We need to share the gospel with our children.  Have Family Home Evening.  We have always had it and it has helped our family, and especially to share our thoughts. Read the Book of Mormon and read it to the children.  Try to set an example to your children by always attending church and sacrament meeting, and showing them how much you love the gospel. Teach your children to serve the Lord."
Monica:  "She teaches her children the right things.  To go to the temple and temple marriage."

"My good friend is Sister (Marlene) Glass.  She always walks around my house and says 'hello', and always comes to say 'hi' to me when I come to church.  When I go to the temple I always talk to her.  I love my Visiting Teachers (Lyn Mieklejohn and Sarah Mahler) because they always visited me!"

How would you describe yourself?
"Love.  I like sharing.  I like to help people.  I like to talk.  Caring."
Monica: "She's a clean freak! We learn from her a lot, from her actions.  She always thinks about us kids before she thinks about herself.  She always finds a way to provide for us.  She is very quiet and shy.  They (my parents) are nice people.  It is hard for them to understand, and they are scared to speak English.  But they always try their best to say hello."






By Sandy Munro


2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful example you are Sister Stowers! Thank you for sharing and I will say hello to you next time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so grateful to know more about you, Sister Stowers. Thank you for your good example. What a beautiful family you have!

    ReplyDelete