Wednesday, August 13, 2014

EMP Mormon Journal - Sister Karen Smibert




I am occasionally blessed to be able to accompany my husband as he fulfills his calling or priesthood responsibilities. On this particular occasion he was asked to give a priesthood blessing to a friend of mine. There was a lovely spirit in their home as we entered and chatted with them. I felt the spirit very strongly as I sat and listened to the words of the blessing.

Then something special happened. I began to see this friend differently. Through the words of the blessing and the spirit in the room, I saw her as Heavenly Father saw her. I really felt that I was able to get a glimpse of her through heaven's eyes.

I'm not sure why this happened at that time, and with this sister, because I had always felt so good towards her, but I was grateful to gain a deeper understanding of Heavenly Father's love for His children. I feel that this is what charity is. And, as most of us do, I had been regularly praying to have this charity, this perfect, Christlike love. And having this experience helped me to realise that I want to feel that all the time, with everyone. I want to see everyone through Heaven's eyes, the way Heavenly Father sees them. I would judge less, and serve more. I would think of myself less, and pray for others more. I would stay in my comfort zone less, and share the gospel more.As I pondered on this experience, a quote from Elder Wirthlin came to my mind...

"We see ourselves in terms of yesterday and today. Our Heavenly Father sees us in terms of forever. Although we might settle for less, Heavenly Father sees us as the glorious beings we are capable of
becoming."

First of all, I decided to change "ourselves" to "others". That explained how I had felt. We only know people from what has happened and what is happening in their lives. But Heavenly Father sees people
as what they may become. And I guess that is what charity is. We can see people and life with an eternal perspective. Now, I did not see this sister's future, it was more a feeling that Heavenly Father loves her.

Then I decided to keep the quote as is. And this was the second thing I needed to learn. I imagined seeing myself the way Heavenly Father sees me. As a woman, this is a hard thing to do. As I closed my eyes to ponder this thought, I also pictured the Saviour, pleading for me in Gethsemane. Because of the Atonement, my future is bright. If I can see myself as what I can become, I am a step closer to becoming like Heavenly Father. How would I act if I saw myself through heaven's eyes? Life would be bliss!!! I would be able to face and overcome any challenge with an eternal perspective.

I feel so grateful to have had that simple experience, and I continue to pray to see others and myself the way Heavenly Father does.

By Karen Smibert



Karen is the wife of our current stake president. She has a degree in Occupational Therapy, but keeps busy as a full-time mother to their four boys, ages 3, 5, 7 and 9.  Asked to describe herself, Karen says that she is, '"introverted, happy, no-nonsense, hard-working, and simple."  She loves serving and is happiest when serving, and when she is, "out in nature."  Her advice to the sisters is, "If you want the most out of your life, contribute to someone else's life."  On being married to the stake president: "It's good.  It's busy.  I'm blessed to meet and have experiences with so many people and to see so much goodness in the stake."    On Relief Society: "I like what it's all about - that 'Charity Never Faileth'.  I love Visiting Teaching.  That you make friends with people that you wouldn't normally make friends with."  Karen also plays piano and enjoys playing sport.  Her Patriarchal Blessing speaks of her seeing the good in others.


(By S.Munro)

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for your beautiful post Karen! Life would be so much simpler if we could always see ourselves as God sees us - and everyone else as He sees them too. There is so much goodness in people.
    - Sandy Munro

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful thoughts Karen. Love Mum
    - Carol Lorraine Allen

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, so true Karen. I think of how safe we would feel with one another if we could do that. Your post reminds me of what is probably my favourite quote:
    “Oh, the comfort, the inexpressible comfort of feeling safe with a person; having neither to weigh thoughts nor measure words, but to pour them all out, just as they are, chaff and grain together, knowing that a faithful hand will take and sift them, keep what is worth keeping, and then, with a breath of kindness, blow the rest away.” - George Eliot

    ReplyDelete