Thursday, August 7, 2014

EMP Mormon Journal - by Ally Vessi




Not long ago, I attended a ward where the Sunday School president gave a talk that stood out to me. As befitted his calling, he spoke about the importance of daily scripture study and continual gospel education. He urged the congregation to never miss a day of reading the Book of Mormon, and then bore testimony of its truthfulness and power. He mentioned that of the people he has known in his life-time who have left the Church, ALL of them had stopped reading the scriptures weeks and months prior to making the final decision to leave.

I am sadly familiar with the experience of watching loved ones decide the church is not for them. A few months ago, a particular friend of mine shared her reasons with me for giving up her membership. On the whole, she stated that living the gospel is too inconvenient and that many of its teachings “don't make sense”. After all, as she put it, what is the harm in having a drink every now and then; or going shopping on Sundays; or choosing to do other things with one's money rather than pay tithing? Choosing worldly courses of action like these seemed inconsequential to her and she couldn't see why the gospel placed such so-called restrictions on its people. Surprisingly, in my attempt to understand her point of view, I came away from that conversation on the verge of believing that her opinions were justified. That feeling didn't last long though, once the scriptures pulled me back into reality as I studied them every day.

I currently have less than 1 week to go before completing the Book of Mormon after starting the challenge in mid-March. I have NEVER before read this beautiful book of scripture in such a short amount of time, but I am eternally grateful that I did not let my lack of experience discourage me from trying. For me, this intensive approach to reading the Book of Mormon has opened up the stories within with such clarity and realism, that I sometimes feel like I was there in person.

One principle that has become more apparent to me than ever before is that the gospel of Jesus Christ is not meant to be easy. The likes of King Noah, and Laman and Lemuel, demonstrated what it can look like to follow the easy path. It is paved with deceit, greed, pride and laziness. Their goal was self-gratification and their methods took no thought for what it might cost others. In contrast, the goal of the Saviour's people was service and they took no thought for what living the gospel might cost themselves. In fact, to them it wasn't a cost at all. Sure, they made sacrifices, such as risking being killed or cruelly imprisoned by their enemies; voluntarily working tirelessly to preach the gospel; leaving the comforts and familiarity of their homes to go wherever the Lord directed them, while some lost family members and even their own lives for the Lord's sake. 

To someone without a testimony, these sacrifices might make no sense at all. However, through recent experience, I have learned an illogical (by the world's standards) yet exquisite truth: that sacrifices made in faith and with a sole desire to glorify God, bring short and long term blessings that surpass any comforts the easy path might afford. In essence, I view the sacrifices we are called to make in the Lord's church as a means to an end: a glorious, peaceful and loving end in the presence of our Heavenly Father. I have tasted the sweetness of the fruits of the gospel and have come to appreciate that the more I put into living it, the more spiritual and emotional strength I get out of it. 

Moroni teaches in Ether 12:6 that we receive no witness of the truth until after the trial of our faith. I hope the Lord can always rely on me to be willing to trial my faith no matter how hard it might seem to follow his counsel. There's still a long way to go before I will be perfect at following this principle, but in the meantime, I will read my scriptures every day, and remind myself of my commitment with this little quote by President Boyd K Packer: “The scriptures hold the keys to spiritual protection”.


By Alejandra Vessi


Beautiful Ally Vessi lives with her three delightful little girls in Springwood Ward, where she serves as a Counsellor in the ward Primary.  Ally was born in Mexico city, and is the eldest of 4 children.  She was brought up in the Church.  The family moved to Australia in 1988, when Ally was 3, so English soon became her main language.  She enjoys dancing, especially modern jive.  Also, riding her bike and playing with her children - particularly wrestling on the trampoline with them.  She loves sleep, when she can get it!  Ally has a degree in Speech Pathology from the University of Queensland, and teaches piano lessons, but her days are mostly taken up with home-schooling her 5 year old twins, (Long-Distance Education), and caring for her 3 year old.  "I'm really enjoying the process of learning that there is more than one way of doing things in life.  As long as I stay true to the gospel, life is full of various options.  I love one-on-one conversations with people, and connecting and laughing with them."
                                                                                   
(By S.Munro)             
                                              

3 comments:

  1. Well said Ally. A wonderful and inspiring read. x
    - Lisa Ward

    ReplyDelete
  2. True, they are a blessing to us for daily spiritual guidance.
    - Victoria Kasuubo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have truly been touched by your words. Thanks Ally, I have always admired your strength.

    ReplyDelete