Wednesday, August 27, 2014

EMP Sister Profile - Valencia Sekona

Sister Valencia Sekona left Brisbane to serve a mission in Sydney for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, on December 3rd. 2009.  On April 7th. 2010, Valencia flipped over the handlebars of her bicycle in an accident that has left her a quadriplegic.  She was 23 years old. 




After 8 months in hospital, Valencia came home to a purpose-built extension to her family home.  She now has some slight sensation in her legs, and can move her arms and fingers a little.  Carers come for 2-3 hours every morning, and about 2 hours every night, to help with meals, personal care and physio. 

Valencia works 4 days a week, doing administration work at Disability Services, where she worked before her mission.  She is the eldest of 6 children, and was born into the Church.  Her parents are Tongan.  The Sekona's live in Springwood Ward.  




What were your reactions after the accident?
"It helped a lot to know that people were fasting and praying for me when I was in hospital - not just for me, but I think it helped my family a lot as well.

"My life has changed dramatically, because I am not as independent as I was.  Some things can be a bit frustrating.  I miss being independent.  It didn't really hit me for a while..  I wanted to go back to my mission. It was when I left the hospital to come home that it sunk in. 

"I think I was very fortunate because of my family.  Of course I've had the biggest help from my mother. Because I've seen her cope really well with it.  My mother's been the strongest.  She's been the 'rod' in the family - the one that has held it all together, from the beginning of all that I've been through. She came to the hospital every day.




"A lot of people ask, 'do you regret going on a mission?' but no, I don't!  People ask if I blame God.  I think I never thought of it.  It's been the opposite way.  I think that's what's helped me.

"It was more that I saw it not being a challenge for me, but for my family.  What helped was, that despite what happened, it made me think of the long-term.  Everyone goes through a challenge in life.  I think that this is my challenge.  I see it as - Heavenly Father wouldn't put this challenge in my way if he knew I wasn't capable of it.  It has strengthened my testimony.  I feel I have more of a relationship with Heavenly Father now than I did before.

"It's what I believe in that has helped.  I always think of the scripture, 'Endure to the end'.  I have to think positive. This life is short.  My Patriarchal Blessing helps me a lot.  If I'm in this wheelchair for the rest of my life, I'm not bothered.  I've accepted it.  I know it's not going to be forever.

How would you describe yourself?
"I'm pretty easy-going and laid-back.  I get along with people easily.  A very organised person.  I plan things a lot.  I'm a 'by-the-book' kind of person; I'm very particular about things.  Quite open to learning about new things.

What has been your happiest moment?
"When I was on my mission.  It was a happy time for me.  It's so easy to talk to people about the gospel.  When you have a companion who has the same beliefs and ideas as you, and you can just talk about that.

Do you have any advice for the sisters?
"I think even though, no matter what I'm going through, that there's always someone else who's a lot worse off than me, and I also think back to the Saviour.  What I'm going through - there's no-one else who would understand that more than the Saviour.  For me, that has helped me tremendously.

What do you enjoy?
"I love food.  I love to go out to movies and I like to eat out a lot.  I enjoy being independent as much as I can.  I have a great group of friends that I enjoy going out with.  I'm out a lot.  I'm very family oriented.  I'm very close to my family and all my relations.  I love socializing."





By Sandy Munro



1 comment:

  1. Valencia, you have no idea how many times I have used you as an example of positivity, gratitude, enduring to the end, being happy within a trial, and eternal perspective. I agree with everything you have expressed here. Lots of love to you.
    Sarah Lowe

    ReplyDelete