Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Sister Vivian Villalobos


Vivian is Spanish-speaking, and is finding the language barrier very difficult since she moved to Brisbane.  Although her daughter, Helen, was there to help, Vivian really speaks English very well. 




What would you like the sisters to know about you?
"I would like the sisters to know that I am always available to help and to be a friend!  I am always grateful for my own leaders in our stake and in our ward, and all the efforts that the Church puts in.  I feel a lot of love and respect for all my sisters, but I can't express it very well.  All the sisters are an example to me.  I have a big testimony of the Church.  My testimony is very important to me.  It's helped me a lot in my life, in so many different situations.  I know I am a daughter of God.  I know He loves me.  Sunday is very important to me."

Vivian and her husband joined the Church almost 30 years ago.  Eleven months later, as they were preparing to visit the temple in one month's time, Luis had an terrible accident.
"I was pregnant with Helen; it was Christmas time, and I had two children.  Our Stake President gave him a blessing and it was the only thing that (Luis) remembered.  He was in a coma for three days.  His eyes were closed, but they opened when our stake president gave him the blessing.  He was very sick for a long time. He could not remember anything of the three months.  But he remembered that the Stake President came. The blessing saved his life."

What makes you happiest?
"The Gospel. Children. Family. The scriptures. Heavenly Father.  When we feel bad, I know reading scriptures and my prayers helps me to feel better."

What advice would you give the sisters?
"I like always for the sisters to say hello and be happy.  For the sisters who are very cheerful and have love, who greet others and make them feel welcome - to keep doing it. And for those who don't, just to maybe build the courage to do so.  Just to maybe even be more aware of those who may need the smile.  Sit close.  Say hello.  Sometimes we are so busy, but it's the simple things."

Past callings?
"Primary president, Relief Society president, Young Women president, and Compassionate Service Leader, in my (Spanish-speaking) ward in Sydney.  I love to give service and to have callings and responsibilities. I love to be more actively involved in Church.  My favourite calling is compassionate service."

How would you describe yourself?
"Friendly.  Gets nervous easily.  Very family orientated.  Hard worker.  Determined.  Loves being a mother." Vivian's mother says that Vivian is:  "a very good daughter to her."  (Helen added: 'Very humble. And very strong.')



Vivian was born in Chile.  After joining the Church, her family came to Australia.  They were very happy in Sydney, then moved to Brisbane eight years ago for Luis' work.  They have five children - three boys and two girls, and 41/2 grand-children.  Their youngest daughter, Karen, is currently on a mission in California.  Vivian's husband, Luis, was diagnosed with bowel cancer and operated on eight weeks ago, but is doing well now and is back at work. Vivian loves dancing, and is a wonderful home-maker, but her particular interest is in flower-arranging.  She worked for 19 years as a florist in Sydney - something she misses a lot!  Vivian also has a wedding hire and decorating business that she runs from home, for which she prepares functions about once a month.  She truly loves to give service and would love 'to be used more' if possible. Vivian tries to keep social, and to keep 'doing', but she sometimes misses the friends and the responsibilities she enjoyed so much in their Spanish-speaking ward in Sydney, and she would love to do more with the sisters here. The Villalobos family live in Loganholme ward.


By Sandy Munro



1 comment: