Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Sister Pat Ware




About her recent Service Mission:
"A really wonderful experience!  My family say they have seen big changes in me..  probably much greater zest and enthusiasm in my life."

How did you come to serve a Service Mission?
"I applied to serve a full-time Senior Mission, but each time I bailed out because of things like health issues. Then our last Bishop at Waterford said, 'Go ahead'.  I had faith in him but didn't know how it would work..   Driving home in the car, all of a sudden, clear as a bell: 'You can teach English.'  That one sentence - just like a light had come on!  I saw President Smibert, and he said, 'You cannot imagine what it's like to sit opposite someone to give them a calling, and have them tell you what the calling is!'  It was beautiful!  I was thinking, 'I am 70 years old - there is not much that I can do anymore.'  Then here I was being used to help in the missionary program.  What could be better than that!?"

On being a mother:
"All of my children assumed that they would go to university.  I never really pushed it; they just all assumed it. The thing that I remember most as the years go by is the incredible amount of inspiration that the Lord gave me as a mother.  When the children asked me questions, or when individual decisions needed to be made by the children, I've seen the Lord answer the prayers of my children many times."

"We had lots of support and had good role models in Young Women (like Jill Truss), and Scout leaders, and lots of support from good bishops and home teachers."

Advice on parenting?
"Keep focussed on missions.  You use different techniques with different children.  But we always discussed things.  There weren't a lot of rules - we just did everything that we were supposed to do. We always had scripture study and Family Home Evening, and we went wherever we were supposed to be, like Seminary and Institute.  We made all of our decisions prayerfully.  We just talked.  We talked one on one about whatever was happening in our lives.  They were three very different personalities. We prayed!  We talked about answers to prayers and prayed about challenges..  We identified answers to prayers."

General advice?
"Forgive quickly and stay positive.  Don't hold grudges.  Build other people up.  No matter what you give the Lord, He always gives you back more than you give to Him."




Pat was born in Victoria and joined the Church when she was 20 years of age.  Her callings at Church include Relief Society teacher, Seminary teacher, and a temple worker for the last 8 to 9 years.  She served a mission in the Philippines, completed a 4 1/2 year degree in Elementary Education at BYU Hawaii, and worked as a secretary and supply teacher - but her great focus in life has been on her role as a mother of three, and now grandmother of 81/2.  All three of her children graduated from university - Jamie as a doctor, Peter as a civil engineer, and Lisa as a primary school teacher.  This is a wonderful credit to Pat, as the main responsibility for raising the children has fallen on her shoulders since they were quite young.  Pat also likes reading, Family History, and anything that pertains to her grand-children.  She currently resides in Waterford Ward.



By Sandy Munro


3 comments:

  1. What an inspiring lady!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading these and getting to know people better. Such good advice here from her!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pat, you are in my ward and I didn't know all these wonderful things about you. So glad you shared this with us.

    ReplyDelete